Our project, Lacerta, is a 3D sidescroller, in a spacestation environment, where the player controls a character who has powerfull and very special powers: she can create small black holes and white holes.
- Game: Lacerta
- Type: 3D Sidescroller
- Environment: Space
- Team: Remi Comtois, Vincent Laforest, Michaël Calixte Papineau, Simon Philippe, Louis-Philippe Laporte, Adam Lacharité, Alexandre Robert, Raphaël Dalpé, Zabdiel Marin, Jean Meyblum
- Project: Academia Game Lab 2013
- Engine: UDK
- Platform: Windows
- Production Time: 3 months
- Awards: 4 nominations, and the Animation award
What I did
Character Energy System
- Black Hole: It creates a little black hole in her sight of sight that will attract all moveable objects that are in its range, even enemies or the player itself.
- White Hole: The same as black hole but repulse everything around it !
When she progress in the game she gain more skills:
- Shield: clicking with the white hole mouse button on her will create a temporary shield around her that will protect her from everything.
- Bigger Holes: Simply bigger and more powerful white and black holes.
Also I had to make other animation implementations for specific animation nodes depending on if she is running, crouching or on ladders.
My job here, was to detect if an enemy is reachable, if so, make the player move to it. Then integrate all animations data to play the combo. There were 4 different combos depending on if we used left or right click and if we were far or close to the target.
What I learned
- UnrealScript: pawn, controller, animation, states, and most of the language and common class basics
- Unreal Engine
- Distance working: we were two programers working at Chicoutimi (QC) while the rest of the team was at Montreal
- Team working: taking time to understand artists needs and then to answer them.